The largest Blue
Marlin ever to be caught on rod and reel in Asia to date!
A new Philippine
- Common name: Blue Marlin
- Other names: Billfish, Bondjing
- Scientific name: Makaira nigricans
- Place caught: 3 miles east of Susay Rock, San Vicente,
- Weight: 236.84 kilograms or 522 lbs.
- Line: Maxima 130 lb. class IGFA-rated line
- Reel: Penn 130 lb. class
- Rod: Penn 130 lb. class trolling rod
- Lure: Doorknob skirt with double hook
- Battle time: 30 minutes
- Note: Vic-Vic's catch is larger than the 462 lbs. Black Marlin caught by a Thai angler
off a seamount 16 miles west of the Similan Islands in the Andaman Sea.
is no previous record for a Blue Marlin on a 130 lb. line class but other previous records
on the Blue Marlin on two different line classes was still intact. One was held by Dr.
Bartolome B. Lapus, who caught a 208 kgs. or 457.60 lbs. Blue Marlin using an 80 lb. line
on the Pacific Ocean near Quezon province last March 1, 1987.
Villavicencio's Blue Marlin is the largest Blue Marlin in the world caught so far within
this year only. Hawaii's largest so far was a 463.5 pounds Blue caught
last July 18, 1999.
Picture courtesy of Mr. Victor V.